nnir-notmuch-engine setup with gnus/offlineimap/dovecot

From: Arkady Grudzinsky
Subject: nnir-notmuch-engine setup with gnus/offlineimap/dovecot
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 16:00:56 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to set up notmuch to search my mail in all my mail
groups while I want to use Gnus to read and manipulate messages.

I retrieve mail from Gmail into ~/Mail using offlineimap.
Offlineimap runs "notmuch new" as a postsynchook.
Notmuch is set up, and "notmuch search" works from the
command line.

Gnus reads the email from a local Dovecot imap server using
nnimap backend.

Here is a snippet from my .gnus:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnimap "local"
                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                (nnimap-stream network)
                (nnimap-authenticator login)

                (nnir-search-engine notmuch)
                )))

When I run "G G" in Gnus group buffer, I get the following
messages:

Doing notmuch query from:agrudzinsky...
notmuch args: search --format=text --output=files from:agrudzinsky
Massaging notmuch output...done
Search produced empty results.
gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn’t request group nnir:nnir-s5obmzfd0j4.fsf: Search
produced empty results.

Shell command

notmuch search --format=text --output=files from:agrudzinsky

produces a long list of maildir files.

Most discussions on this topic point to
http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

The name implies that this may be exactly what I want, but the
link appears to be dead now.  I get an empty page when I try to
view it.

If anyone uses gnus-dovecot-offlineimap set up with notmuch, can
you, please, post a snippet of your configuration?

Thanks.

--
Arkady