Re: searching Gmane questions

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: searching Gmane questions
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2017 21:05:17 +0100

myglc2@gmail.com writes:

> Is there any reason to believe that gmane search will start working
> again?

One can always hope, but it is kind of dwindling.

> Am I correct in believing that gmane was unique amount NNTP servers in
> providing a search interface, and that the interface between gnus and
> gmane was a custom thing?

It is certainly custom, several others are implemented, but I don't know
if they are of any use any more:

 · http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/gnus/nnweb.el#n45

> Or is there a standard way to search NNTP servers that I am missing?

There was at least one proposal, I don't know if it was ever
implemented anywhere:

 · https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ballou-nntpsrch-04

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "The laws of perspective have been repealed!                 Adam Sjøgren
  Objects no longer diminish in size with distance!"     asjo@koldfront.dk