Re: gnus-topic-update-topic-line: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: gnus-topic-update-topic-line: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 12:37:11 +0100

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Loris Bennett wrote:
>
>> Here the backtrace when I start Gnus and then
>> try to toggle topics [...]
>>
>> My assumption is that something happened to
>> .newsrc and/or .newsrc.eld and that has
>> occurred. Is there someway to discard all the
>> topic information and start afresh?
>
> Well, which one do you use?

Well I have both.  In .newsrc there are just the following two lines:

  gnu.emacs.gnus: 1-89003
  gnu.emacs.help: 1-228165

In .newsrc.eld there is

  (setq gnus-topic-alist ...)

so maybe I could just bin that.

> In .newsrc.eld it says
>
>     ;; Never delete this file -- if you want to force Gnus to read the
>     ;; .newsrc file (if you have one), touch .newsrc instead.
>
> But that's almost never a good idea. If you
> solve the problem by deleting files that have
> been populated automatically, what will happen
> is what once produced the bug will just do
> so again!
>
> Rather, what hits do you get when you search
> all your Emacs init files for "topic"?

My init.el just contains

  (add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)

as it has for many a moon.

I have fiddled around a bit I can now get topics to show without the
'wrong type argument' error.  However, the topics are behaving
strangely.  If I try to unindent the topic 'FU that is displayed as
indented, i.e. as a subtopic, I get the error

  Nothing to indent Drafts into

where 'Drafts' is the topic under which 'FU' currently and incorrectly
appears (the amount of indentation makes 'FU' actually look like a
subsubtopic of 'Drafts').

Other topics exist, but I can only see them if I explicitly do a
'jump to topic'.  If I then fold the parent topics and then try to
unfold them, I get a 'no group on current line' at some point.

So basically the whole hierarchical structure of the topics seems
borked, so I would really like to throw it away and start anew, as I
only have around a dozen topic.

Cheers,

Loris