Re: Colours gone

From: Richmond
Subject: Re: Colours gone
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 18:14:18 +0000

Emanuel Berg via info-gnus-english <info-gnus-english@gnu.org> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>> Maybe it has to be in the context of gnus running?
>>
>> The link above was broken.
>
> Thanks for telling me, now the URL is fixed.
> The correct one should be:
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/my-faces.el
>
>> But I found this, not sure what it is
>> telling me.
>>
>> https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/test-faces.el
>
> That's something else, to see how the colors
> look when actually displayed.
>
> It sounds like you have it misconfigured
> somehow.
>
> You don't need anything on these URLs, they are
> just examples how it can look and what you
> can do.
>
> Just require everything, then set the faces,
> byte compile, correct warnings and
> errors, do it again, done. Easy.

I am afraid I am completely out of my depth. I don't know where these
faces came from. I see they are in the file .gnu-emacs, but I have never
edited that file.

Here is an extract:

(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook
     '(lambda ()
        (setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method
        '(lambda (newsgroup)
           (gnus-subscribe-newsgroup newsgroup)
           (gnus-kill-newsgroup newsgroup)))
        (setq gnus-use-generic-from t)
        ;; highlighting and menu in GNUS
        (if (or (and (= emacs-major-version 19) (> emacs-minor-version 29))
                (> emacs-major-version 19))
          (progn
            (setq gnus-visual '(highlight menu))
            (setq gnus-group-highlight
                '(;; News.
                  ((and (> unread 100) (not mailp)) .
gnus-summary-high-ticked-face)
                  ((and (> unread 0) (not mailp))   .
gnus-summary-high-read-face)
                  ((and (= unread 0) (not mailp))   .
gnus-summary-high-ancient-face)
                  ((not mailp)                      .
gnus-summary-normal-ancient-face)
                  ;; Mail.
                  ((and (= unread 0) (eq level 1))  .
gnus-group-mail-1-empty-face)
                  ((eq level 1)                     . gnus-group-mail-1-face)
                  ((and (= unread 0) (eq level 2))  .
gnus-group-mail-2-empty-face)
                  ((eq level 2)                     . gnus-group-mail-2-face)
                  ((and (= unread 0) (eq level 3))  .
gnus-group-mail-3-empty-face)
                  ((eq level 3)                     . gnus-group-mail-3-face)
                  ((= unread 0)                     .
gnus-group-mail-low-empty-face)
gnus-group-mail-low-face)))
      )))