Re: nnir with notmuch gives error; Possible solution!

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: nnir with notmuch gives error; Possible solution!
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:19:11 -0700

physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> i think i find the problem, but i cannot repair it.
> ALL messages with error in gnus contain a combination !2 in the file
> name.
> This was used on Windows for correct working of imap folders, because :
> is forbidden.

Yeah, I thought that looked suspicious. Did you copy the maildir
installation over directly from a Windows machine? What program was
originally used to create that installation? I suppose this is an
argument for using some sort of export/import process, rather than
straight copying.

> if i change!2 in :2 (this assumes gnus, i read), the message is
> accepted.
>
> But how could i change the string inside the filename from !2 to :2 ?
> Perhaps with dired, but i dont know how?

Dired has wdired-mode that allows you to edit file names in the dired
buffer as though they were plain text, and then "commit" all the renames
at once. If you have a small number of files to rename or they're all in
the same directory that would be most straightforward. If these files
are scattered through a very large number of directories you'll probably
want to do it in the shell, probably with find and exec and mv.

Eric