Re: synchronizing gnus sessions on multiple computers

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: synchronizing gnus sessions on multiple computers
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 23:28:50 -0500

On Fri, Sep 10 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Yes, the .newsrc.eld file only gets written when you save Gnus ("s" in
> the *Group* buffer), and I would absolutely not try to update files for
> a Gnus that's still running, it will not handle that gracefully. It
> should, however, be enough to shut Gnus down first (you can see the
> `gnus-clear-system' function to see what happens then), rsync, then
> restart Gnus.

Thanks, it took me a while to get back to this.  It seems that
`gnus-clear-system' / quitting gnus is missing
`gnus-save-newsrc-file-last-timestamp'.  Quitting gnus, then rsync'ing
gnus followed by a restart of gnus will use .newsrc.eld file from the
other machine.  But when this .newsrc.eld file is saved again, the
timestamp of the file on disk is compared against the old timestamp of
the old file that's already gone.

I submitted a bug report (bug#51052).