Re: using agent to accumlate post in agentized groups

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: using agent to accumlate post in agentized groups
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:17:06 -0700

hput via "Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet
newsreader (in English)" <info-gnus-english@gnu.org> writes:

> I once had some working knowledge of using gnus agent.  But it leaked
> away over the last 20 and more yrs. As it became faster and faster to
> get news.
>
> I want to acquire several thousand messages from certain groups.
>
> Ones that likely carry info I most want to access.  So back then I used to
> download Thousands of old messages overtime so as not to bog down any
> servers.
>
> I lost all my old thousands of messages over many host changes, moves
> and fool blunders.

Have you considered setting up your own local nntp server, a Leafnode
instance or something? Listening to what you're describing, I think that
might end up being a more feasible approach, and might give you several
other side benefits.