Re: Help needed: nnmaildir and create-directory parameter.

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Help needed: nnmaildir and create-directory parameter.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:00:45 -0800

Fernando de Morais <fernandodemorais.jf@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> According to the manual, for a `nnmaildir' server, if my split rules
> create new groups, I need to supply a `create-directory' server
> parameter[1].  Ok, so considering the following example snippet:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (customize-set-variable 'gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
>   (customize-set-variable 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                           '((nntp "news.gwene.org")
>                             (nnmaildir ""
>                                        (directory "~/Mail/maildirs")
>                                        (target-prefix "")
>                                        (get-new-mail t)
>                                        (create-directory ...)))) ; <-- Here
>   (customize-set-variable 'mail-sources '((file :path "~/Mail/emaple_mbox")))
>   (customize-set-variable 'nnmail-split-methods '(("inbox" "")))
> #+end_src
>
> Following the example snippet above, what is the expected value for the
> parameter `create-directory'?  Unfortunately the manual brings no
> details about it.

I won't claim to understand how this is supposed to work, but in
`nnmaildir-open-server' we've got the following chunk of
lisp-as-imperative-code:

(setq x (assq 'target-prefix defs))
(if x
    (progn
      (setq x (cadr x)
            x (eval x t))       ;FIXME: Why `eval'?
      (setf (nnmaildir--srv-target-prefix server) x))
  (setq x (assq 'create-directory defs))
  (if x
      (progn
        (setq x (cadr x)
              x (eval x t) ;FIXME: Why `eval'?
              x (file-name-as-directory x))
        (setf (nnmaildir--srv-target-prefix server) x))
    (setf (nnmaildir--srv-target-prefix server) "")))

This makes it look to me like, if you've got a 'target-prefix set (even
if it's the empty string), then 'create-directory never comes into play
at all.

So maybe try taking out the (target-prefix "") server config completely?

I really don't know how this is meant to work. If you figure it out we
should update the manual.

Thanks,
Eric