Re: Help needed: nnmaildir and create-directory parameter.

From: Fernando de Morais
Subject: Re: Help needed: nnmaildir and create-directory parameter.
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 02:52:43 -0300

Hello Eric,

I've managed to figure out.  The TL;DR is: simply, don't use the
`create-directory' server parameter.  Using only `target-prefix' is what
is needed.  😅

> So maybe try taking out the (target-prefix "") server config completely?

With something like this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (nnmaildir ""
             (directory "~/Dir")
             ;; (target-prefix "")
             (get-new-mail t)
             (create-directory ""))
#+end_src

Gnus will create groups (and respective folders) specified in
`nnmail-split-method', however it will raise an error, saying that the
directories already exists (?) and we will get a crash box, again.  With
my testes, any other value besides `""' will result in error.

But, uncommenting the `target-prefix' line and removing the
`create-directory' one, we'll end with the expected behaviour, without
errors.

> I really don't know how this is meant to work. If you figure it out we
> should update the manual.

If its of any use, I'd would like to suggest:

- Inform in the manual that if the user wants to configure something
  like `(target-prefix "maildirs/")', he will need to create the
  `"maildirs"' folder (in my example above, inside the `"~/Dir"'), by
  code or manually; and

- Switch the `create-directory' to `target-prefix' in the last
  paragraph.  But the code will still be there...

I don't know if there would be any practical benefit in making changes
in a way that using `create-directory' works as expected, especially
when `target-prefix' already does the job.  But anyway, I'm just
rambling here, the question has been answered.

Thank you very much for pointing the direction to address this issue,
Eric.

--
Regards,
Fernando de Morais.