Re: recipient does not have pgp key? can i still send an encrypted email

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: recipient does not have pgp key? can i still send an encrypted email?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 19:25:57 +0100

vani writes:

> it seems we need recipient pgp key for sending
> encrypted email. if there is no pgp key, can i
> still encrypted email?

No, not with public-key cryptography¹, which is what is usually used.
You need the recipients public key to be able to encrypt the email to
them.

If you and the recipient share a secret (eg. a password), you could use
symmetric encryption², but you have to share the secret in some other
way first, so it's rarely a solution.

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
² https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric-key_algorithm

--
 "(Phew, it's hard to explain with my poor                  Adam Sjøgren
  English.)"                                           asjo@koldfront.dk