info-gnustep

ANN: GWorkspace 1.0

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: ANN: GWorkspace 1.0
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 01:37:36 +0100

GWORKSPACE 1.0
--------------

Christmas, in Anno Domini 2021.

This is a different announcemement than usual, since it is a special release: it is tagged 1.0 after many years of work. It is different, because it is a personal writing. The last release has been long ago, but many refinements and improvements came in; there has been a person who spurred me improving and working on GWorkspace: Bertrand Dekoninck.

Hard times were the past two years and they have not been easy and the pandemic is not yet over, so in the Christmas Eve, a new release of GWorkspace has been done and it is dedicated to Bertrand: so shall he be remembered from us GNUsteppers, he, who had not the privilege to live till Christmas with his family.

A reserved user who really gave the sensation to be interested in GNUstep and its applications, thus, especially GWorkspace. Continuously he proposed contributions, tested, always gentle, collaborative: a friend. I will miss him, we will miss him. Betrand, as me, worked also on PowerPC - so it was inspiring to know that supporting that Big Endian platform was useful! After the pandemic, I wanted to meet hi8mfor a hacking session, but it will no longer happen on earth.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Riccardo

What is new?

* "Modern mode" enables now clearer icon lables on the desktop
* Single click launch is now an option and affects the Dock and the Tabbed shelf
* cleaned up code in Shelf and Dock Icons
* Fixed display of available tools for documents in the inspector
* Improved display of handled extensions for an applications
* Improve image scaling for image content inspector and image thumbnailer
* Better handling of removable volumes
* Improved French, Italian and Spanish localizations, as well as new Japanese and Polish ones * The build system was improved and cleaned up, allowing easier packaging and building on different platforms
* Fix crash in Metadata extractor
* Fix build failure on GNU/HURD

Links for info and downloads:

http://www.gnustep.org/experience/GWorkspace.html
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/downloads.php
https://github.com/gnustep/apps-gworkspace

--
Sent with GNUMail on GNUstep on Gentoo running on a ThinkPad T510i-i5.