info-lilypond

LilyPond 2.5.6 released

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: LilyPond 2.5.6 released
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:10:23 +0100

Hi there,

I've just uploaded lily 2.5.6. This is a "technology preview" release,
which means that it has all kinds of nifty features, but is not
actually usable for producing nicely printed scores. For this reason,
I am not shipping an RPM of this release.

In this release, the PS backend is now completely switched over to
Pango/FontConfig. This means

 1. For -f ps, LilyPond only accepts UTF8 input. For UTF8 input, Pango
    will render non-ASCII characters in the correct fonts. I have
    verified that this works correctly for Cyrillic

 2. All text fonts are loaded through Pango. This means that fingering
    and time signature digits are also chosen from the Pango default
    font (on my system, this is Luxi Sans Serif)

 3. The TeX backend now offloads all metric computations to LaTeX, eg.

     lilypond -f texstr foo
     latex foo.texstr
     lilypond -f tex foo

 4. The SVG and GNOME backends are broken, most probably.

Running Latex computes exact dimensions of texts, which are read back
in the 2nd LilyPond run.

In addition, this release has a bunch of font improvements by Werner.

Have fun!