info-mtools

Re: [Info-mtools] Undefined libiconv symbols

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Info-mtools] Undefined libiconv symbols
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 08:09:33 -0600

On Nov 10, 2020, at 07:55, Pali Rohár wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 November 2020 07:49:28 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Nov 9, 2020, at 07:21, Frank Loeffler wrote:
>>
>>> Could it be that you have multiple versions of iconv installed
>>
>> I have the macOS version of libiconv installed of course, and also the
>> MacPorts version which is the one that I am intending to use.
>>

>>> and you use the headers of one version but then the library of the other?
>>
>> I am aware of that type of problem -- I am the MacPorts maintainer of
>> libiconv -- but that's not what's happening here. If it were, adding -liconv
>> would not fix it.
>
> This really looks like a problem that autoconf/automake have not used
> correct compile/link flags. As I said AM_ICONV should be used. Add it
> into configure.in into "dnl Checks for libraries." section and re-run
> all auto* tools.

I agree there should be a standard way to handle this but I am not an expert at
modifying autotools files. I tried adding "AM_ICONV" on a line by itself after
the "dnl Checks for libraries" comment, and then running autoreconf produces
this error:

configure.in:87: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ICONV
      See the Autoconf documentation.