info-nano

[Info-nano] Nano Feature Request?

From: Damien Joldersma
Subject: [Info-nano] Nano Feature Request?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:00:39 -0700

I have a feature request for nano, where is the best place to suggest?

First of all, I love nano and haven been using it for years - but there is one bug-a-boo that still gets me no matter how much I try to remember: being sure to open a system config file with root privleges to be sure that I can save it after editing.

I would like to have nano, my favorite editor :), to help me handle my permission problems.  As in, if I open a file that I can't edit - can there be some sort of visual cue letting me know that I can't write out the file or possibly not even let me either change just read/view or (extreme) not even open the file without prompting an "are you sure want to continue editing? you won't be able to save" or possibly even a nifty way to temporarily gain privleges via a sudo save or something, anything, just so long as I don't loose my trivial edits! :D

To be sure, it's trivial pain and probably not a trivial solution and perhaps not even compaitible with the nano philosophy - but through sheer number of experiences, I finally thought it worth the time to write down.

Just wanted to put in my thoughts and see if anyone knows where these should go!

Thank you very much :)

--
Damien Joldersma
Software Engineer