info-nano

Re: [Info-nano] [Nano-devel] [poll] which features would you like to see

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Info-nano] [Nano-devel] [poll] which features would you like to see in nano?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:20:09 +0200

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015, at 06:59, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 21 June 2015 at 03:28, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> > c)  Find next occurrence backward / find next occurrence forward.
> > (So you don't have to toggle the search direction with ^W M-B first.)
>
> +0 I have no opinion on this other than to be concerned about an
> explosion of complexity.

I understand.  It's just something that I really would like to have.
All other command-line editors have a find-forward and find-backward.
What nano has feels like what graphical editors have: check boxes that
one can click to toggle Direction, Case Sensitivity and Regular Expressions.

An alternative would be to have a bindable WhereWas function: the same as
WhereIs but with the Backward direction toggled always on.

> > d)  Save the current file without any prompting (if it has a name).
>
> +1.  I'd also be okay with this being an option to default save to the
> same name as previously asked.

Hm.  The option you're suggesting is how --tempfile should behave,
but it doesn't.  In Pico the -t option will save the file straightaway
upon a ^O or ^X.  But nano will do that only for the latter.  (Bug
has been filed as https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?45415.)

> > e)  An option to consider underscores to be part of a word.
>
> -1 as is.  I'd be +0 if it were "an option to list characters to be
> considered part of a word".  In particular I don't like how specific
> this option is.

You're right, it was too specific.  And being able to define which
characters should also be considered parts of words nicely fits
with nano's other options like 'set brackets' and 'set punct'.

By the way, Pico always considers hyphens and underscores to be
parts of words (but also all brackets and other things, which is
not good).  So we could also consider nano's current behaviour
as a bug.  The -W (--wordbounds) option makes nano behave more
like Pico, but worse: it will also put the cursor on an opening
bracket, something that Pico never does.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access all of your messages and folders