info-nano

[Info-nano] [poll results] which features nano will acquire

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Info-nano] [poll results] which features nano will acquire
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 11:24:24 +0200

Here are the results of the poll on the proposed features.
(They include the vote of the original proponent and myself.)

> a)  Delete a word leftward / delete a word rightward.

3 votes:  Eitan, other Trevor, Benno.

> b)  Spell check from the current cursor position instead of the whole file.

2 votes:  Mike, David.

> c)  Find next occurrence backward / find next occurrence forward.
> (So you don't have to toggle the search direction with ^W M-B first.)

3 votes: Trevor, other Trevor, Benno.

> d)  Save the current file without any prompting (if it has a name).

3 votes:  Seiya, Eitan, Benno.

> e)  An option to consider underscores to be part of a word.

Retracted.  Another option will be proposed instead: to allow the user
to specify which characters should also be considered part of a word.

(Now I discover that pico knows the option "-W <wordseparators>".
By default it considers any string of characters that doesn't contain
whitespace to be a word.  With this option you can make the words
smaller by excluding things like @ and (.  Maybe nano should copy
this instead?)

> f)  An option to save a file by default in Unix format.

3 votes: Fergus, Eitan, other Trevor.

So... this means that I will implement a), c), d) and f) for sure.
That is: delete-word-left/delete-word-right, find-next-backward/
find-next-forward, save-without-prompting, and save-in-unix-format.

However, I now realize that f) conflicts with --noconvert, so we'll
have to figure out what nano should do when both are given.

For the spell-checking patch to be applied, I will need another push.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service