info-sather

Re: anyone home?

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: anyone home?
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 00:09:46 +0200

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 07:34:53PM +0200, Lars Hupfeldt Nielsen wrote:
> Hi Nobbi,
>
> Nice to see that you are still there!

Yes, silent but happy!

> I know that you have tried before, but it would be really good if the
> news group/mailing list link could be fixed.

I'll continue nagging. For the moment I can only suggest: post to
address@hidden and follow comp.lang.sather - that way you don't
miss anything.

> Now a bunch of questions:
>
> Are you working with Keith to unify the sources, so that we may get a
> single high quality set of source code for multiple hosts/targets?

That's what we are doing (Actually, Keith is doing the most work, I'm
about tidying everything up a bit for the gnu release...)

> How far off is the next release?

1.3-beta-3 is working and about finished here on my machine. I'm just
waiting to get my gnu login working again to put it up for download. If
the login should not work tomorrow, I'll put ip somewhere else and tell
the world about it.

I don't know yet how stable that will proove for normal use, and I have
even less idea, when the new library will reach the stability of the
old one, so we can call it the "most official" release. From there, it
will then still be some way to go for a real "stable" release...

> Is anybody incorporating the java-bytecode backend into the regular
> release?

We are not really touching the compiler any more than necessary to keep
it running. The code is so rotten that any debugging is a pain. Anyhow:
Keith is still about designing a new compiler. It will be a very
long-term goal, but that's much more worth than spending any time on
the existing compiler.

> p.s. You can change my email address (regarding the OS/2 port) to
> address@hidden, my old address will probably not exist much longer.

??? That port is not in the code at all!

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!