info-sather

Re: Exceptions

From: Keith Hopper
Subject: Re: Exceptions
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:15:30 +1300

In article <address@hidden>,
   Norbert Nemec <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 07:01:26PM +1300, Keith Hopper wrote:
> >      I wrote on exceptions to the news group a couple of days ago - but
> > they don't appear here (yet?).

> I read it already. Was very conclusive!

     Now just think of the following in relation to what I wrote --

> What is lacking in Sather is a mechanism to specify which exceptions a
> method may raise. After all, that really is part of the interface. If
> we had such a thing, exceptions would just become a special kind of
> return value. In many cases, there are three alternatives:

What is lacking in almost any exception mechanism which I have come across
is the notion of the 'origin' of the exception - in which feature of which
class and for which object was it raised?

     The same applies to interrupts and signals.  At present the rather
primitive mechanism provided answer only one of those and then only in
respect of programmer raised exceptions - the object involved!

     Which is not satisfactory!  As I said before, watch this space!

    kh

--
City Desk
Waikato University