info-sather

Re: Sather: templates necessary?

From: Keith Hopper
Subject: Re: Sather: templates necessary?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:00:53 +1300

In article <address@hidden>,
   Eray Ozkural <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not suggesting that Sather should adopt it but there
> is an intriguing relationship between generic code and mult. polymorphism.

    I wouldn't have said it was particuarly intriguing - rather  it is of
the same nature.  I do agree with you about the efficiency problem.  Our
prototype assembler generating Sather compiler has managed to reduce the
size of dispatch tables fairly radically - although we have not directly
tackled mutliple dispatch in Sather.  I do have a colleague who is very
interested in this sort of thing!

         kh

--
City Desk