jami

Re: [Ring] Big endian issues.

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [Ring] Big endian issues.
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 13:00:55 +0100

On 03/11/16 21:37, Steven Gawroriski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ring on Debian (which is at 20160901.1.204c604~dfsg2-2) is completely
> unusable on big endian systems. The only sounds generated by the
> program are various brown noises. When an incoming call is made, you
> hear a distorted and echoed trill similar to talking down a very long
> metal pipe.

I wonder if anybody could contribute unit tests for this type of thing

We had some issues like this in reSIProcate, both endian issues and data
type sizes, but adding more unit tests and using compatibility methods
(e.g. htonl) we were able to stamp it out.

Using libraries that are already validated on multiple platforms rather
than embedded libraries also helps.