jami

Re: [Ring] File sharing

From: Sebastien Blin
Subject: Re: [Ring] File sharing
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 09:31:11 -0400

Hi!

Thanks for the mail. Note: I will write a page on the wiki to explain the file transfer later. Cause yeah, there is some questions to answer.

Answers below.

On 04/20/2018 06:44 AM, Óvári wrote:
Hello,

This relates to the file transfer feature in Ring advertised at:
https://ring.cx/en/news#file-sharing-now-available-in-ring

When transferring files:

1. Can multiple files be selected in the "Send File" dialog box, eg using Ctrl+Click and Shift+Click?
Not for now. And we want to avoid flooding. Note: if you send a .jpg/.png/.gif file <= 20Mb, it will be automatically be accepted (like a text message)

2. Is there a Progress Bar showing the percentage/size transferred?
Yeah (at least on the gnome and android client)

3. Does Ring show the "Expected time remaining" for file transfers?
Not now. But this is only a client side feature... Not complicated, so if anyone want to do it. PR welcome.

4. Can file transfers be Paused and Resumed?
Not for now. The two big points missing with file transfers are:
1. Multi device support (lot of thinking)
2. offset resuming
But definitely on the TODO

6. Would it be helpful to list YouTube videos showing how other software implements this feature?
Don't think so. We use a lot of apps to see what they got. The thing is, a lot of other soft don't have the same problematics

5. When there is a conversation with Multiple participants, how does Ring display the progress for each participant?
Yeah I move this question to the bottom.

Cause... in ring you don't have group chats. Yes, you have video conferences but it's basically a video call between two person where you invite some others to join the conference. So you will have a master of the conversation for the SIP call.

We need to implement group conversations first.

For now, when you are in a conference on the gnome client for example:
A master, B and C slave.
B will be able to send a file to A the master (C same)
A will be able to send a file to B or to C (just have to select the correct conversation).

I hope I'm clear enough.

Thanks and Have a nice day