jami

[Ring] Desktop client won't start

From: czzlr9+6e0e3asxoanu0
Subject: [Ring] Desktop client won't start
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 11:31:45 +0000

This message was sent via anonymousemail
To remove this signature and unlock all features go premium

Hi,

I get the following output when trying to run Ring from the terminal:

$ gnome-ring
** Message: Ring GNOME client version: 2018.06.06
** Message: git ref: unknown
Updating all accounts
Loading vcf from: QDir( "/home/bob/.local/share/gnome-ring/profiles" , nameFilters = { "*" },  QDir::SortFlags( Name | IgnoreCase ) , QDir::Filters( Dirs|Files|Drives|AllEntries ) )
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::invalid_argument'
  what():  stoull
Aborted

The first call using the latest Ring version worked fine, then the program would start in a blank slate and ask to create a new account. Now it won't start. I downgraded to the previous version which works. The OS is Debian 9 with the Gnome desktop.

Another issue I've had for several months is that calls don't get answered automatically, though they did before.

Also, calls get disconnected when I end a screen sharing session.

Quite often, after a while into a conversation, audio input stops working on my side and a new call has to be made.

As to the security of the media stream, I've been using Ring since way back when SDES was used to negotiate the encryption keys. Is it possible that, due to the persistent internet traffic surveillance many actors are believed to engage in, my device keys and certificates may be compromised? Were new certificates generated after the new encryption scheme had been implemented?

I'm not a computer guy and can't debug this further.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.