jami

Automatically placing a call with Jami

From: alfy
Subject: Automatically placing a call with Jami
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 15:21:49 +0100

Dear mailing list,

I am trying to develop a free solution for old people in my town who are confined and can't receive visits because of the whole coronacircus situation. I'm talking about people who cannot use typical videoconferencing solutions because they are too complicated. It is too difficult for them to launch an app, search for a contact, select the right contact, click on yet another button, etc.

Basically what I want to build for them is a "walkie-talkie but video" ... I would give them a pair of preconfigured Android tablets, one to keep and one to give to their closest relative. When they turn the device on, there is ONE button, and by pressing it, it places the videocall to the other "paired" device.

I've been testing Jami and I think it is just great. Low latency, distributed architecture, free and open source, etc.

The only thing I need to do is to be able to create an icon on the home screen that will, when clicked, automatically place a call to a given contact. In other words I need to be able to launch Jami and for the application to immediately videocall the one and only contact in the list.

I understand the Jami daemon has an API and that there definitely should be a way of doing this.

Could you kindly help me figuring out the easiest and most straightforward manner of doing this? Is it possible, for example, to launch the Jami binary with a certain argument to automatically place a call upon launch?

Thank you all, and kind regards,

alfy