jami

comments/suggestions WRT the downloads page

From: bill-auger
Subject: comments/suggestions WRT the downloads page
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 00:22:32 -0400

the downloads page struck me as unreasonably lop-sided toward
debian - it is not obvious why that specific set of distros was
chosen to highlight

of the 7 distros on that page, 5 of them are debian derivatives;
which means that the package for those 5 distros, probably is
(or could be) the same identical package - it is very likely that
the same package could be used by _any_ of the countless debian
derivatives (and many independent distros)

likewise for the remaining 2: fedora and suse - in most cases,
the same package could work on any RPM-based distro, and others
such as centos, mageia, etc

also, it looks odd that such an obscure distro as zorinos would
be highlighted, when well-known distros such as arch, gentoo,
etc, are not mentioned

it is likely that the entire downlaods page, as it is, could be
collapsed to:

  the .deb package (click here)
  the .rpm package (click here)

lastly, it should be noted that jami is already packaged by
debian and opensuse; so there is not much reason to build for
those distros at all - users of any debian derivative can
install it with their package manager (and generally should
prefer their distro's package) - that sort downlaods page is
common for windows/mac software; the downlaods page for *nixes
could (and probably should) simply suggest installing distro
packages - for example:

* debian/ubuntu/mint/trisquel/etc/etc users: `apt install jami`

* arch/parabola/hyperbola/manjaro/etc users: `pacman -S jami-gnome`

* suse/opensuse users: `yum install jami`

* fedora users: you would need our package (click here)

* gentoo users: you would need our package (but we do not have one)

* slackware/freenix/etc users: you would need our package (but we do not have
one)