janosik-devel

[Janosik-devel] though keep

From: Jennie Wiley
Subject: [Janosik-devel] though keep
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 05:31:37 -0000

I could hear them shuffling in thedistance; I could hear the clank of metal upon metal. My prince, he cried, we have been betrayed. Then I sat on the window sill and leaned far out. I commanded the brain to return at thehighest speed compatible with safety. By the crown of the Jeddak, he muttered, has the fellow escaped?
The ships drew closer, Gar Nals almost abreast of mine.
His every interest demanded that he either betray or destroy me. A woman rose from her bed uponthe opposite side. I am going to lower you to the window of the room just below, Iwhispered. Then I went to the opposite end of the beam, and still I found nothingto give me any ray of hope. I jumped again to place its exact position, and then I leaped for itand caught it.
You are a wise girl, I said; you have bought your life verycheaply.
Now we were at the door, and Ozara was searching for the secretmechanism that would open it to us. Youthink I might hide here safely until tonight? Presently the rope went slack, andI knew that she had reached the sill of the room below.
Before mewas a dimly lighted room, apparently vacant.
The alarm has been raised and warriors are almost at the door, Icalled to them.
I judged that they wereapproaching the next level below. If they succeeded in boarding her, the doom ofDejah Thoris would be sealed.
It was a wild,hare-brained plan that depended upon many things over which I had nocontrol.
Those were long hours that dragged themselves slowly by.
I doubtthat anyone who had once looked into the mans eyes could trust him. I could hear them shuffling in thedistance; I could hear the clank of metal upon metal. Again and again I reminded myself that I stilllived. I doubtthat anyone who had once looked into the mans eyes could trust him. They have learned of your escape from the cell, she replied.