janosik-devel

[Janosik-devel] umpire

From: Net Jackson
Subject: [Janosik-devel] umpire
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:22:40 +0800

He belonged to the same species as those wecatch at Catalina. I knew he would hit it, and so Icalled out. The launch I was to use had the name Alma G.
I heardsome one speaking of a wonderful bird following the ship, so I at onceran out.
I let himrun a hundred feet, and then struck.
Like allgood fishermen, they were boys at heart.
By handling him gently I savedboth fish and line. We made for outside, and wentfully twelve miles.
I whooped my congratulations ending with, Lucky Mitchell! Someone showed me a picture of New Bedford whaling ships at anchor in thebay. This was proofthat the spearfish, or Marlin, can and do ram fish. When we had half of it off, two hundredand fifty yards, I shut down on the drag, and as R.
By handling him gently I savedboth fish and line. Iwanted much to run over there and give them some instructions, but Imanaged to refrain.
I knew he would hit it, and so Icalled out. Leaping for my tackle, I called for Arlidge to run around in frontof the nearest fish. Mullet and garfish were breaking the surface of the still waternear the beach. Unquestionably, it had been made by the bill of the swordfish. I looked in time to see a Marlin back of the left teaser. He was not over three hundredyards from the ship.
Then heswirled up, showing half his bronze body, huge, glistening. The largest of those we raised was twice the size of this one. Faintstreaks or rays of blue, fan-shaped spread to the zenith.
Then I heard an exquisite birdsong, but could not locate the bird. Some angler hooked a fish and went off to the north. Finally I got so curious to see the resultthat I had my boatmen follow.
The boatman felt the loss even morekeenly than I.
I did not feel that anythingmuch would happen, so I contented myself with watching the other boats.
At the hour-and-three-quarters mark I shut down on thedrag and let him pull. Cape Brett, however, loomed up black andclear, a reliable landmark for fishermen to watch.
Cape Brett, however, loomed up black andclear, a reliable landmark for fishermen to watch.
While beginning another drift oneof the other anglers hooked a fish and started out to sea.
The markings differed enough to convince meit might be another albatross. It sort ofaggravated me to watch these boats run away with a fish. Unquestionably, it had been made by the bill of the swordfish.