janosik-devel

[Janosik-devel] unfurl gofer

From: Herbert Mooney
Subject: [Janosik-devel] unfurl gofer
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:49:21 -0000

Butif we ask for masterpieces, where are we to look? Beerbohm, inhis way, is perfect, but it is not a big way. He wasaffected by private joys and sorrows, and had no gospel to preachand no learning to impart.
Birrell on Carlyle and the essay which one may supposethat Carlyle would have written upon Mr. For therewas always an air of mystery about him.
Nor did Marlow live entirelywreathed in the smoke of his own cigars.
So delicate a balance is easilydisturbed.
He has clearly made the best of hiscircumstances and not the worst.
We are sharply cut off fromour predecessors. Nor has any generation more need thanours to cherish its contemporaries.
All honour, of course, to those whohave sacrificed their immortality to set the house in order. The next day we read: For the rest one can only say that if Mr.
Think your own thoughts,he seems to say, and speak them as plainly as you can.
The temptation to decorate is great wherethe theme may be of the slightest. Great critics, if they are not themselves great poets,are bred from the profusion of the age. And to all this, too, the critics generously agree. Great critics, if they are not themselves great poets,are bred from the profusion of the age. That is the explanation; that is why they differ. Ladies and gentlemen talk together, and some things, of course, arenot said.
Ladies and gentlemen talk together, and some things, of course, arenot said.