js-shield

Dev meeting 20210906

From: Michael McMahon
Subject: Dev meeting 20210906
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 10:26:04 -0400

- Preparing the release
  - Identified some problems.  Most are fixed.
  - Identified some more.
  - 0.5 will be released soon.  Maybe Friday or next week.
- Tests
  - Fixed unit tests.
  - We have some broken integration tests and plan to work on this.
  - Maybe sometimes the test is wrong and tests obsolete calls or calls that are not available anymore.
  - Some wrappers might not be compatible with the new injection method.
  - Still working, but getting closer.
  - Added a few wrappers over the past few weeks and improved test page.
- Fingerprinting
  - Documenting edge cases (mostly geolocators) and realized workaround could be automated.  Close to getting them to work with the media device wrappers.  Geowrappers and media device wrappers may offer ways to fingerprint the usage of the extension.  Both wrappers are using a proxy to mask this implementation to appear native instead of from JShelter.
  - Action Item: Update documentation about how to write a wrapper and about the fingerprinting opportunities that were discovered.
- GUI
  - Giorgio originally planned to work on the UI, but fell into the geolocation and media device rabbit hole.
- Groups
  - Discuss over email.  https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/js-shield/2021-09/msg00002.html
  - Describes what groups we have and what APIs we wrap or identify.  Which wrappers can be grouped?
  - Helping the user identify how to troubleshoot when something does not work.
  - Maybe someone knows a better way that these can be described to users.  Suggestions welcome.
Best,
Michael McMahon | Web Developer, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 4337 2794 C8AD D5CA 8FCF  FA6C D037 59DA B600 E3C0
https://fsf.org | https://gnu.org