klog-users

Re: [KLog-users] Please two enhancements to KLog

From: hans
Subject: Re: [KLog-users] Please two enhancements to KLog
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:28:39 +0800

If for a backup you mean backup your log, the best way would be to export all your logs to an adif file.

This process should be automatic according to your choice. Right now, when I close the program it advises me to make a backup. Kind of silly, because I have to open the program again and then do a manual export.

The feature is already there, because when you upgrade KLog will make a backup first. So use that capability to automatically make a backup (with timestamp) of the database when the program closes. I've been using another well know logging program for Linux for the last 12 years and it does exactly that. It has saved me numerous times and even after 12 years I still use those backups sometimes, e.g. when I accidentally delete a log entry. Since they are incremental it is quite a few MB of files after all these years, but it's only text, so compared to video files it's nothing.

Of course, you have to backup the backup file, so I do that with a cron job that triggers a bash script that uploads the latest backup adif to my websever in Europe. Better be safe than sorry.

Regarding the sat name in the log table, you are right.
It is in the TODO list to make the columns configurable so it will happen.

Great! Thanks for the hard work.

There is one more thing. In sat mode there is an entry for mode and I guess you have to fill in the mode letter there, like A (V/A), B (U/V), etc. Since the frequencies are already listed it's kind of redundant to also list the sat mode. Or am I seeing this wrong?

73 de Hans
BX2ABT