Re: HURD to L4 todo

From: Ed Page
Subject: Re: HURD to L4 todo
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:21:27 -0700 (PDT)

> What do you mean by "system programming"? Some people mean things like
> exercising the Unix/POSIX API, others mean kernel programming. In the
> first case, you may want to have a look at Stevens' "Advanced Programming
> in the Unix Environment" for a general intro to Unix programming. Other
> books are available as well.
Kernel hacking and immediate layers on top (with micro-kernels)

> For kernel programming, you may want to have a look at textbooks about
> OS design like e.g. Tanenbaum's (of Minix's Fame) "Operating Systems",
> but also kernel books like McKusick, Bostic, Karels, Quaterman "The Design
> and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System".
I think I might be able to get a hold of Tanenbaum's "Modern Operating Systems
1st Edition"
I want to work on stuff to help get well designed software to the masses kind
of thing.  Fill in
the wholes that help.  Work on this port, fiasco (flex io pages, 4GB RAM,
explicitly checking for
write protection before writing to user memory), HURD itself, and stuff I'm not
sure where it
belongs (irq sharing, FPU emu), etc.  I know those things are a lot (ambitious)
but those are what
I would like to see done.  I might not have the skill for them but I can always
learn and try (and
maybe fail).

> There are books and resources for special topics, including sockets,
> distributed systems, etc. as well.
>
> There is a lot more literature available. Please let me know what you
> intend to do.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll try and get a hold on some of the stuff and study
the source code
Ed Page

=====