Re: L4Hurd at Sourceforge

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: L4Hurd at Sourceforge
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:08:39 +0200

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 11:11:10PM -0700, Ian Duggan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a new project at sourceforge called "l4hurd" aimed at
> getting the Hurd to run using the L4 microkernel.

IMHO we should use savannah (savannah.gnu.org) instead of sourceforge.

> The project has been approved, and I am in the process of putting
> together an initial CVS setup for us to work from.
>
> I need some input as to how to arrange the modules, as well as which of
> the many L4 variants out there to use. My current thinking is that we
> aim to use the fiasco microkernel. Comments?

I really dislike fiaco because it is written in C++, IMHO C is better for
a microkernel and the GNU Coding Standards also recommends using C. Hazelnut
uses a few bytes of C++ which are easy to remove AFAICS, so it's a
better choice if you ask me. Writing an own L4 variant is also option.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
"all the _really_ interesting stuff will be going on in user space."
        --Linus Torvalds