Re: Why savannah? (was L4Hurd at Sourceforge)

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: Why savannah? (was L4Hurd at Sourceforge)
Date: 24 Oct 2001 14:09:02 +0200

Jeroen Dekkers <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know the whole history, but I'm going to tell what I know.

Thanks for the info.

> Open source and free software aren't the same. It's explained at
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html, the other
> articles at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ are also interesting. I speak
> about free software, see http://fsfeurope.org/documents/whyfs.en.html
> for reasons.

I think I'm aware of those issues. My point was that "X is open
source" (as defined by the open source definition,
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.html) implies that "X is
free software" (as defined by rms,
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html), and vice versa.

The reasons why that free-software-thingy is considered good are
different. The "open source movement" and the "free software movement"
are different. Their terminology and arguments are different. But the
free-software-thingy itself is one and the same.

If you have any examples of software (be it real or artificially
constructed for the sake of the argument) that are open source but not
free software, or free software but not open source, I'll like to hear
about them. But we're getting off-topic, so please mail me privately.

Regards,
/Niels