Re: Compiling L4Ka::Pistachio 0.1 on FreeBSD

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Compiling L4Ka::Pistachio 0.1 on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 01:12:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> > But... compiling L4Ka::Pistachio 0.1 on FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE yields:
>
> Sorry for not getting back on this earlier (I was taking the weekend
> off).  It seems that I completely forgot to mention this issue in some
> release notes (or fix it properly in the sources).  The problem is
> that if you use the native FreeBSD gcc, the gcc-internal include paths
> differ from a standard gcc installation.  The make process therefore
> has some problems with finding stdarg.h.  Setting
>
>    LIBGCCINC=/usr/include
>
> in you Makeconf.local should solve the problem.

Yessss, that was exactly the problem. Everything compiles fine now.

So I can report success booting kickstart+ia32-kernel+sigma0+pingong.

KickStart 0.1
 MBI @ 0x001827b0
 MBI.mods @ 0x00182760
 kernel     => 0x00151030
  (0x00194000,0x00027a80)->0x00100000
  (0x001bc000,0x000089fc)->0x00128000
  (0x001c5000,0x0000367c)->0x00151000
 sigma0     => 0x00021590
  (0x001cf080,0x00002c10)->0x00020000
 roottask   => 0x00300e20
  (0x001e3080,0x0000512c)->0x00300000
Launching kernel...

L4Ka::Pistachio - build on May  5 2003 23:45:03 by address@hidden using gcc
version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]

However, I'd been strugging (again) with the console output:

The last line (at the bottom) is the L4Ka::Pistachio - build line.
pingpong is supposed to display a menu, but it didn't.
instead, 2 chars at the top of the display showed PC charater
sets (symbols) when I typed anything. Something with the output
scrolling seemed out-of-sync. I've looked at
  $(SRCDIR)/user/lib/io/ia32-putc.cc:putc()
but the scrolling code looked right. After some minor head
scratching, the reason for this became apparent:

The solution was to compile pingpong (and libio) like this:

  $(SRCDIR)/users/configure --without-comport

This #undefs CONFIG_COMPORT in config.h (it doesn't
set it to the default [0]), which in turn
results in the DISPLAY-based function
  $(SRCDIR)/user/lib/io/ia32-putc.cc:putc()
to be used instead of the one which wrote directly
to the com port.

Everything worked fine then... ;-)

Thanks,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Management.
http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html