Re: object management and IPC a bit more formal

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: object management and IPC a bit more formal
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:17:02 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:03:31AM +0200, Niels Möller wrote:
> Perhaps all the users could have a shared server responsible for pid
> allocation (and nothing more)?

Well, that would mean having a complicated mechanism to keep track of
PIDs and what task (and user) they correspond to.  The general rule for
persistent systems is that global IDs are bad (except if every single
task of the system could be made persistent maybe).

If we were using a port server, we could easily create local port IDs,
eg. port IDs that are local to a persistent environment.  Since port IDs
would be local, there would be no problem in reusing them and we could
also easily distinguish between ports to task within the persistent
environment and ports to task outside the persistent environment.

However, as Marcus mentionned, making an RPC to the port server before
each RPC to a "normal" task would be maybe too much overhead.

Thanks,
Ludovic.