Kernel Interface Page Dumping Server

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Kernel Interface Page Dumping Server
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 05:29:56 +0200

Hi,

I have written an example server that dumps the information in the kernel
interface page.  It's more compact than the kernel debuggers output, so it
fits on one screen.

It doesn't use the official libl4, but rather my home-knitted one that only
provides a single function, l4_kernel_interface.  The data types and
field names are often a bit different from the official version (endian
instead ee, wordsize instead ww, etc) - more descriptive and in accordance
with the GNU coding standard.  I also try to take advantage of GCC
extensions.  It currently only supports ia32, but the framework to plug in
other arches is there.  Come to it, you will find similarities to the
official libl4 (although I find my versions more readable :), but after all
there are only so many ways to call "lock; nop".  I am not sure if there is
a real need for our own libl4 or if the official one is the one to use.  For
now I am doing this for my personal gain (learning by doing), and because a
lot of the concepts I am using in libl4 are directly relevant to glibc
hacking that is ahead on the road for us.

There is a README with compilation and installation instructions.  I am
afraid the headers of my libl4 conflicts with the official one, so choose a
different installation home if that worries you.

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/l4/
-rw-r--r--    1 9042     103           632 May 07 03:01 README
-rw-r--r--    1 9042     103         70048 May 07 03:01 gl4-0.0.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 9042     103          4751 May 07 03:01 rootserver-0.0.tar.gz

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/