Re: address@hidden: L4Ka at the Libre Software Meeting 2003]

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: address@hidden: L4Ka at the Libre Software Meeting 2003]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:29:47 +0200

Hello,

> The L4Ka Team is currently considering to participate with some
> presentation(s) at this years LSM in Metz (if there is any interest
> from the community).

First of all, thanks for considering to come in Metz to give lectures in
the Kernel topic.

>    "L4 Version 4 --- L4 Redefined"
>       What is the reasoning behind the new Version 4 (X.2) API?
>       Some examples of the shortcomings with the previous APIs, and
>       how Version 4 solves these problems.  Also some examples of
>       basic L4 Version 4 usage.
>
>    "L4Ka::Pistachio Design Patterns"
>       A thorough description of the design philosophy behind
>       L4Ka::Pistachio.  Concrete examples from one or more hardware
>       architectures.  A quick glance at performance issues.
>
>    "Design and Implementation of L4Linux 2.4"
>       Describe the port of L4Linux 2.4 to L4Ka::Pistachio.  How does
>       it differ from earlier versions of L4Linux, e.g., with respect
>       to support for SMP?

After a short discussion with other people of the Hurd project, it
appears that 2 distinct lectures could be made. The first one might be
the union of the "L4 Version 4 --- L4 Redefined" and the
"L4Ka::Pistachio Design Patters" lectures. The second one might simply
be the last lecture : "Design and Implementation of L4Linux 2.4".

> Do the people on this list have any other suggestions?  We are
> currently running a whole course on microkernel construction here in
> Karlsruhe, so there is definitely enough material to talk about.

The proposed lectures appears to be fine, I think they will present the
L4 project in details. However, if you think that other more general
lectures should take place, don't hesitate to propose.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
PETAZZONI Thomas - thomas DOT petazzoni AT enix DOT org - UIN : 34937744
Web: http://www.enix.org/~thomas/