Re: task-server hacking

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: task-server hacking
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:37:16 +0200

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 04:23:16PM +0200, Maurizio Boriani wrote:

> [...]
>
>     Marcus> I think we want to use IDL for that server already, and
>     Marcus> possibly handles.  As to the detail of sednign messages
>     Marcus> and such, I am still playing with that myself.  The first
>     Marcus> pager I wrote didn't work for some reason :)
>
> are you writing a simple parer or a complete VMM?
>
> I'm rewriting UVM port (pmap part) which worked out with hazelnut for
> pistachio. Do you think new hurd on L4 need a separated VM server or this
> functions could be done by task/proc server?

I was only going to write a simple pager for the rootserver, so that
accessing 0 causes an exception (I already wrote an exception handler).
That didn't work out.  After changing the thread and accessing an unmapped
page, the thread stopped and I had no way to enter the kernel debugger, so I
don't know what happened.  Since then I wrote a new version that has another
thread which sleeps for ten seconds and then enters the kernel debugger, so
I will be able to take a closer look later.

We want every task to do its own paging in the Hurd running on L4.  Neal is
our memory expert, but if your vmm is easy to integrate it might be helpful
to get started with everything.

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden