Re: local vs global object IDs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: local vs global object IDs
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:46:57 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:38:45PM +0200, Espen Skoglund wrote:
> If your model is that only a few tasks are persistent, then you have a
> whole lot of other problems to deal with.  I.e., you probably have
> many more open connections/dependencies between transient and
> persistent tasks.  Making orthogonal persistence completely
> transparent in such a system is difficult.

I think it's probably hard, if not impossible, to have a persistent task
not depend on a transient task.  Consider an X application: the
application itself could be made persistent but it depends on the X
server, so the X server would have to be persistent too.  The X server
depends on the graphical hardware device drivers which *cannot* be made
persistent.

So you have to find another way to handle such cases.  For instance, the
X server could be transient, and the system would log (in a "clever"
way: it may not be necessary to keep everything in the log)
communication between the persistent client and the X server in order to
replay it upon restart.

Ludovic.