Re: patch for typo in doc/vmm.tex

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: patch for typo in doc/vmm.tex
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:44:10 +0200

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:33:19PM -0400, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> > -anyway---and reclaimed by the physical memory server.  Note that the
> > +any way---and reclaimed by the physical memory server.  Note that the
>
> I am not sure why you think this is a problem.  The second edition of
> OED says the following of "anyway:"
>
>     1. adv. In any way or manner, anyhow; to any degree or extent, in any
>     measure.
>     2. In any way however imperfect; anyhow.
>     3. advb. conj. However the case may be; in any case; anyhow.

Yeah, but do you really say "IN anyWAY" ?  I don't think I have ever seen
that.  My Collins Cobuild shows how a language is actually used, not only
what it means.   It mentions 7 usages, 4 of them pragmatics (which
definitely don't apply here, although I could list them).  The others are:

[You use anyway or anyhow to]

1. [...] to indicate that a statement explains or supports a previous point.
2. [...] to suggest that a statement is true or relevant in spite of other
   things that have been said.
4. [...] to indicate that you are asking what the real situation is or what
   the real reason for something is.

The word way has 94 usages listed in it, and here is one:

51. You use "in no way" or "not in any way" to emphasize that a statement is
    not at all true.  [...] 'He hasn't become more boring has he?' she
    laughs. 'No. Not in any way.'

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden