Re: Questions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Questions
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:28:22 +0100

Hi,

Designing computer programs, in general, is always a tradeoff between
flexibility and performance AFAIK: The more flexible the system is, the
more resource-consuming it is.  So, micro-kernel based multi-server
systems may be slower than monolithic kernel based systems (although
recent micro-kernels implementations such as L4Ka::Pistachio seem to
perform much better than first-generation ukernels), but it's probably
worth paying this price to have highly customizable system.

GNU Emacs is a good example: it may be slower and bigger than Vim but
offers a much higher degree of configuration. ;)

Ludovic.