Re: l4-ka, c++!

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: l4-ka, c++!
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:58:27 +0100

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 10:02:08AM +0800, swin wrote:
>       I have heard that hurd will discontinue current
> hurd-l4, and switch to l4-ka,but l4-ka is written in
> c++, maybe, for developing and researching ,it's
> convenient, but for a practical OS, do you think it
> will degrade efficiency?

The Hurd is not and will not be written in C++, while the L4 kernel is.  The
L4 kernel is highly optimized and very efficient.  You don't need to take my
word for it, download the source code and read it.  You will find that
although it uses C++, it was written by people who know what features in C++
are compiled in what way and thus there is a high control over the assembler
output by the authors.

Certain C++ features have a certain run time penalty.  You have to know what
you are doing to avoid that becoming a burden.  The L4 people know what they
are doing.

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden