Re: rpc inhibition

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: rpc inhibition
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:56:09 +0100

At Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:16:57 -0500,
Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> I have been think about inhibition.  Why do we need to cancel extant
> RPCs when we inhibit RPCs?

To unblock blocking RPCs.  Non-blocking RPCs may not have any
cancellation points and will just complete.

Note that the whole issue of cancellation and so on is mostly about
blocking operations, like select (although as we discussed recently,
revoke is a special case that also needs substantial consideration).
A complete non-blocking design would make a lot of things easier, but
some things quite impossible (like, well, select()-like operations, or
just blocking reads).

Thanks,
Marcus