Re: Deva interface

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Deva interface
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:26:25 +0100

At Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:28:53 +0100,
Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I agree with you on that as well.  What this is about is to make it so
> easy to write a driver for our framework, that our framework will be
> ported to other systems.  Then people will like to write such
> "platform-independant" (no doubt excluding Windows) drivers, because
> they can be used by everyone without change.

Ask a Linux hacker at the next free software conference of your choice
what he thinks about that idea :)  And that hacker will have a valid point.

> Since there is no such system available at this moment, we cannot simply
> use it (otherwise we should, IMO).  So we should start it ourselves, and
> hope others will use ours.

Such a system does not yet exist, but it is not for lack of trying.
It's interesting to think about why previous attempts at such a thing
have so little success.  Neal has given some good hints about that.

> > Maybe you can start this work, if you are so inclined and able, to
> > present us with a list of the most common device classes, and what
> > their interface specialties are.
>
> I'll see what I can do.  I shall not try to define interfaces for
> devices of which I have no knowledge though, as they will most likely be
> worthless anyway. ;-)

Hey, yeah ;) I would really like to see an understandable explanation
about what is so special about SCSI, USB etc, at the operating system
interface level.  If that explanation comes without
hardware-geek-talk, I will be so much more happier.

Thanks,
Marcus