Re: Questions about the device driver framework

From: Daniel Wagner
Subject: Re: Questions about the device driver framework
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:52:15 +0100

> >> * How would a communication between a virtual driver and the
> >>   real_driver be established? Would a virtual driver be something like
> >>   the "ddwrapper" server, or will it be something at a lower level?
> >>
> >>   How would a virtual driver and a device driver interface?
> >
> > I never heard of a distinction between virtual and real drivers before.
> > Is that in the docs?
> >

> Absolutely.

A virtual driver is a driver which is on top of a real driver.  The
virtual driver is port of the operating system and forwards all
request to the real driver.  The virtual driver has an access control
list which is OS dependend of course.  The real driver then has only
to trust one thread, the virtual driver.

> If you want me too, maybe can I write a tool which would create this
> archive, and a corresponding library to extract it from deva.

A script for creating the archive already exists.  See the fabrica
module on the cvs server.

daniel