sleep in laden's shutdown

From: Glen Kaukola
Subject: sleep in laden's shutdown
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:27:08 -0800

Hi there.

Here's what I came up with for sleeping a little while in laden's shutdown function:

        pushl   %eax
        movl    $0xFFF, %eax
sleep:  subl    $1, %eax
        hlt
        cmp     $0, %eax
        jne     sleep
        popl    %eax

My previous attempt was to use a bios call, but for some reason it didn't work out too well. Just wondering if anyone can tell me why the following didn't work:

        pushl   %edx
        pushl   %eax
        movw    $0, %cx
        movw    $0, %dx
        movb    $0x86, %ah
        int     $0x15
        popl    %eax
        popl    %edx
        popl    %ecx

Oh, and by the way, the push and pop stuff can maybe be done away with if it's assembly thrown into some C code. I just have that there since I'm testing things by throwing it into laden's ia32-crt.S file. But then I'm by no means an expert on this stuff so maybe it needs to stay there after all.

Glen