Re: Mechanism to request physical memory with certain properties

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Mechanism to request physical memory with certain properties
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:26:51 +0200

Hi,

> 01X0X10X11X00X means that the bytes you require on the allocation must
> have 1 and 0 where specified, and can be either 1 or 0 when there is a
> 'X'. To do this, we will pass a pair of two words like this:
>
> *bits in the first word will indicate bits which have to be on in the
> address of the physical memory eventually choosen
>
> *bits on in the second word will indicate bits which have to be off in
> the address of the physical memory eventually choosen

A more intuitive interface would be one word with the desired bits, and
one word with a mask which bits are actually relevant. This is more
robust too, as you never have conflicting information (some bit being
requested to be '0' and '1' at the same time) -- either a bit is
specified directly or it is ignored.

Also, this seems to be the more usual approach -- I believe I've seen it
in similar contexts already.

-Olaf-