Re: On Compatibility

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: On Compatibility
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:17:17 +0200

Hi,

interestingly, you are talking about desktop systems only.

However, one important class of applications are servers.  And servers
usually are multi-user oriented.  This is not necessarily so, but many
are.

There is a huge legacy of administration manuals how to set up such
systems, in a "reasonably secure manner".  For example, how to set up
web servers and virtual domains.

This is an important legacy, and to preserve it, I think you need to
provide a whole environment, including boot scripts and what not all.

I don't think that this is considerably harder than writing any other
POSIX emulation layer, for example one that can run unmodified
GNU/Linux binaries.  But it is a somewhat different class of
applications you have not commented at all on, and I would like to
hear your opinion on this issue.

Thanks,
Marcus