Re: design goals vs mechanisms

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: design goals vs mechanisms
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:06:08 +0200

At Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:46:26 +0200,
Alfred M Szmidt wrote:

>    You may also want to check out what the plans of the FSF with the
>    Hurd were around about 2000/2001.  There was a time where the Hurd
>    apparently was close to being stomped into the ground for good,
>    officially.  I do not remember what made us panic, but there was an
>    announcement or a quote from a public speech RMS gave that seemed
>    to prepare the ground for declaring Linux the official kernel of
>    the GNU system.
>
> You mean the plans of making a release of the GNU system, using the
> Hurd, and the Hurd working reliably?

Nope.  I mean what I said, and not the opposite of what I said.  This
is usually true, unless I make a mistake.  In this case, I didn't.

I do not dig into the internals of the FSF, so maybe my impression was
wrong.  But I definitely remember that I saw something, maybe a quote
or an announcement, which indicated that Linux was going to be the
official GNU kernel.  This was in spring 2001.  Neal remembers the
same thing, which is not surprising, as we shared the experience.
This caused us to have a night-in session with Bradley Kuhn.  If you
really want to dig deeper into this, why don't you ask Bradley?  He
should remember it, and he knows what happens internally in the FSF.

Thanks,
Marcus