Re: About social balances

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: About social balances
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:25:26 +0100

Дана Thursday 10 November 2005 19:08, написали сте:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 18:45 +0100, Filip Brcic wrote:
> > But if the "government" uses that open-source, it would not be unfair to
> > collect taxes from the population. The benefit for the people would be
> > about 150-200 euro off the price of their computers (no ms win, no ms
> > office, no corel, photoshop, ...). And the country-wide taxes for such
> > purpose would not have to be high. For example: 10M people in Germany
> > times 1 euro divided by 10k programmers equals 1k euro for programmers
> > per month. I guess that people could afford even 10 euro in taxes and
> > wouldn't even notice that and I estimate that there are no more than 10k
> > active open-source programmers in Germany. Or, am I wrong?
>
> What about the 50% percent of people who do not own, or want, a
> computer?

Keyword: government uses it. It means that people don't have to pay taxes to
microsoft (for buying software for government). Instead thay would pay taxes
to their own people. That wouldn't change the taxes (or it would even lower
them). It would only change where they are going to. I believe that my
country (Serbia) which is far smaller than Germany, or France, or the US, has
to pay several M dolars to microsoft for using their programs in government
institutions. That figure would probably go much higher in bigger countries.

PS: I made a mistake in previous message - Germany has about 10G people, so 1
euro tax would probably be more than enough for all the programmers in
Germany.

--
Filip Brcic <address@hidden>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/