Re: DRM and freedom

From: Martin Schaffner
Subject: Re: DRM and freedom
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:28:24 +0100

On 10.11.2005, at 23:15, I wrote:
It is therefore possible to have local privacy with technical means while keeping everyones freedom to use whatever software one wants, and the freedom to lie about what software one uses, with owner override. The question is only wether TC+OO (owner override) will become available on the mass market (we can hope...).

Alternatively, could we implement "owner override" in software, using SYSREQ or something similar? The sysadmin would then be able to change the hash of the TCB that is to be trusted, to make use of software freedom. A virus could not do so, as it could not invoke the owner override button(s).

Thanks,
Martin